Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012 Remember to say thank you

Today is Memorial Day  and unlike what most people believe it is not the official start the summer. It is not a day to cook out. It is a day to spend with family remembering those who gave the ultimate  sacrifice to protect the freedoms that many people take for granted.  For as long as I can remember the Importance of Memorial day has been drilled into my head. 


For me Memorial Day 2012 also means my 25th birthday I feel blessed to be able to celebrate my birthday on such an important day. So today I will celebrate both events with my family. Going out to eat with my family to celebrate my birthday. Then a walk along our city's waterfront to see the Memorial day display then on to cemetery    to put flags on serviceman's graves, as well as on the graves of a few or our family members. 


I hope you all have a blessed and safe Memorial day, but remember the importance of the day and what it really means. 


I'll leave you with this 


It is the Soldier...
It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the right to demonstrate
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial
It is the soldier, not the pastor, who has given us the right to worship
It is the soldier, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote
It is the soldier, who solutes the flag, serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives the protester the right to burn the flag...

by Charles M. Province, U.S. Army, The Patton Society

No comments:

Post a Comment