Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day and to most people especially in my generation and younger people see it as a three day weekend and the unofficial start to summer. But for me and many others it is to remember why we are a free nation. The man and women who made the ultimate sacrifice. To give their lives so that others might live and be free.  Which again reminds me of a quote I don’t know who said it but it does ring true. Only two people ever chose to die for you, Jesus and the American Service member. One died to save your Soul and to give you eternal life. The American Service member died to protect your freedom.

But Memorial Day means more, because it’s not only the military service member be it Solider, Sailor, Airman or Marine who made the ultimate sacrifice it is their families as well. Not only are they Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, or Marines they are husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. The ones they leave behind also give the ultimate sacrifice of the loss of their loved ones.

Of the family left behind the one that hits me the hardest is the children left behind. To me behind the service member who makes the ultimate sacrifice it is the child who makes the hardest, and most heartbreaking sacrifice because they will continue to go through life without their parents. As a military child myself these kids have my deepest respect because to me they have more strength and courage respect and honor for their country than most.



So this Memorial Day remember those who died fighting for their country but also remember their families as well. Honor the fallen and pray for the living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment